Skip to main content

Staying within yourself, enjoying where you're at.

It's a beautiful day out and I just got in from playing my guitar/harmonica and singing some songs on the deck. I really enjoy doing that.
I started playing my guitar in grade 10. It went really slowly. I would start and quit every few years . Often I would become very discouraged and give it up for three or four years at a time.  I'd hit a plateau that was beneath my expectations and I would just quit. I've never risen above that level , that level of  talent isn't there.
 But I became inspired by , of all things, hockey analogies. Harry Neale once said something along the lines of " Bill Berg has had a nice career because he doen't try to play like Gretzky ,  he plays like Bill Berg." Or as Don Cherry so nicely put it  the other day . " Crushers who try to be rushers , soon become ushers".
 If you're really talented in sports , music , arts or academics it will become obvious in a short time. Go for it ! (If  there is absolutley nothing there this  will also show). But for most of us in the middle , find where your at , do your best and enjoy it. Get in the game.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Me

There's been many times I've had things to say be it spiritual,social, political,or just micellaneous rambling and I needed a place to vent these thoughts. Comments would be great . I'm laid off from work and have much more time to waste on the computer. This first blog deals with nothing.I'm simply trying to see how it works.

Avoid every kind of evil 1- Thess.5:22 (My radical view of movies)

I'm really exposing myself on this topic. I don't expect anyone to agree with me , but I am being honest and sincere. This is how I feel about movies. 1-Real social interaction- When you have family and friends over isn't it nice to visit,listen and talk to each other or play games and interact, making memories along the way as opposed to watching a screen for hours and saying "Shh, Shh" every time someone tries to converse with you? 2- Movies are my right eye a) sex- Over the years of raising young children many times people have said "It's a great movie, but don't let your kids watch it"....My kids? my kids? What about me? Is it really a good thing for me to watch Hollywood's beautiful and sexy stars enticing the audience the way only Hollywood knows how to do it? (They do it very well, I might add) Matthew 5:28-29 (New International Version) But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adu

"Opportunity" by Berton Bradley

After raising three boys I find I'm always telling , not just them , but there friends too,how great it "used to be ". My parents always did the same as they spoke about the "good old days" . Now, I knew my parents "good old days" consisted of the great depression and a world war that saw 50.000.000 people die . Imagine that. Let that sink in awhile. These were the "good old days". Maybe the " good old days" were good ,because, the good Lord gives us "days "at all. And the sweet,sweet people around us are among the greatest gifts of all His creation. My parents pictures of "the good old days" always consisted of lots of people, in a very small room. Anyway,I get caught up in thinking about the past . This is not good for the next generation ,who have there whole lives stretched out before them. When I was young and in despair my mother shared this book of poems with me .It was at a time, like today ,wh